This is an ode to my friends.
I hope you know who you are.
I have never been the kind of person who had a million friends. There are some people I know who seem to have 25 best friends and they had a hard time whittling their list down to 10 bridesmaids when they got married. Instead of having a million friends I've always had a pretty close-knit group of girlfriends who I completely trusted and love as a BFF. The older I get, the more I find that this is what works best for me and for my friends because I hardly have enough time for the friends I do have, let alone having a bajillion of them.
If anything, the older I get, the closer and smaller my group of friends becomes.
I've been friends with some of you for decades...
Even when we've been separated by states/countries/oceans we always come back to exactly where we always were **++ (that's secret code language). I love how we can go months without talking and then pick up the phone or have a lunch/crazy night somewhere and pick up right where we left off.
My friends have been there for me through all of my highs and lows and trust me when I say that there have been plenty of both. We've cried and laughed and had epic fights where we swore we would never be friends again, but here we are...
There are some friends who leave an awesome impression in your heart and you know they'd do anything for you and you'd do anything for them.
Keep those friends.
Don't worry about the rest.
There have been friends I've lost along the way that I regret losing - we've grown apart or maybe we didn't recover from that epic fight. There have even been friends that I have been a super shitty friend to and for that I have major regrets. If you're reading this and that's you, I'm sorry.
I sometimes wish I could be a better friend to the friends I have now, since you've been such a great friend to me. You've held my hand while skipping around high school, we've gotten in epic trouble together, we've cried over dumb boys together, we've cried over not-dumb and awful things together, we've traveled and moved across the country, and here we are...still friends.
Just as much as you've been there for me, I hope you know that I will seriously always be there if you ever need me. Really, I mean it.
Thank you <3
- For being ridiculous with me - whether we're trying to ride a moped or making dumb faces or singing songs at the top of our lungs in downtown Orlando or chasing a bear out of a field or drinking wine while watching The Walking Dead on a Sunday - those are just a small portion of my favorite memories with you and I can't wait to make some more as time and funds allow (cause you know, I'm a broke-ass working mom)
- Thank you for loving my children and never making me feel like they're a pain in the ass(even when I know they can be). Some of you have kids and some of you don't, but you're all the same in this regard. We may not be exactly the same in our parenting styles or views on kids, but I've never felt like that was an issue from you and I hope you know it's never an issue from me. Also thank you for not getting mad at me if I drop an f-bomb around your kids - I don't mean to have such a shitty mouth and I'm not perfect so sometimes they slip out.
- Thank you so much for any time you have babysat or offered to babysit. Being a single mom for as long as I was, I had to rely on people to babysit so I could go out sometimes and be the mother effing P.I.M.P. I was back then. And now that I'm married, I still need to date my husband whenever possible. I am so thankful to have you in my life and know that I can leave my kids with you and trust they'll be well taken care of. I promise I will do the same for you if you ever need it so don't hesitate to ask!
- Thank you for doing nice things for me without expecting anything back. I do nice things for people simply because I like to do nice things for people - never because I expect them to get me back or to keep a running tally. My friends are the same kind of people - sometimes they might be giving me 80% and I'm only giving 20%, but the role will be reversed eventually and I'll give them 80% whenever they need it. That's simply how these things work and when it happens organically it's a wonderful thing
- Thank you for never making me feel bad if I forgot about you - I promise it was not intentional and not because you don't matter. It's just simply because my brain can only hold so much before I lose stuff and unfortunately I do sometimes forget plans/dates/things. These darn kids and husband of mine take precedence 99.9% of the time and I'm a worrier so I'm always worrying/thinking about them/trying to figure out ways to make sure life keeps going well. I promise I will do everything I can to make it up to you if I do ever forget anything involving you and appreciate knowing that while you might be annoyed with me now, you'll forgive me
- Thank you for supporting me in my choices and never making me feel bad about them, even when you know I'm wrong. You know that this has been my life to live, just as much as I know this is your life to live. As such, having you to support me and my choices without judgement means the world to me. I am so lucky to have you there to pick me up when my choices have been wrong or to celebrate with me when they've been right
I feel that I am so blessed to have the friends that I currently have and hope that all of you reading have the same support I do.
And if not, go get you some better friends!
Husbands/boyfriends/significant others are great, but there is definitely something to be said about an old fashioned girl's night out/Frozen sing-a-long/ridiculous shenanigans with my girlfriends.
I encourage you to go hug a friend now. Or if you're not a hugging type, send a text message. And if you really don't feel like you have any friends, subscribe and talk to me and I'll be your friend :-)
Disclaimer - there is a chance I may have forgotten some of my friends in the pictures. Again, this was not intentional and I'm sorry if you are like, WTF, JAMIE?!? Jules and her illness have sucked the life out of me over the past few days and I'm completely brain dead. Please forgive me :-)